Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Shooting TIP PX600 in the COLD

It started snowing, so I decided to test the Impossible Project's (TIP) PX600 silver shade film outside in the cold! I want to share some tips through my experience.


MY TIPS:


1. Wear gloves! - It gets cold and your hands will numb when handling your camera and film. *Preferably thin gloves so you can still operate your camera properly!
2. Compose ahead - Always look around and compose shots in your head, this will help with wasting less time and losing precious body heat.
3. Keep film away from light - Shoot with a light shield or be quick and shield your film as it comes out! TIP film is sensitive to light during the development process.
4. Keep your film warm - When your film is developing it is affected by the temperature! so keep it warm preferably with your own body heat. The more warmth you give your film while it is developing the more dark contrast you are going to get.


video:


Check out more pics after the break.

So here are some select pics from my outing today. I was using my SX70 camera with the ND filter over my PX600 silver shade UV+ film from the Impossible Project. The temperature was roughly 0-3 degrees celsius plus the wind made it feel even colder!


Normally when you are shooting outside and there is snow on the ground, it makes it a little trickier to get the proper exposure. This is because snow is WHITE! It reflects a lot of light back up at you and it fools your camera's exposure to give you an improper exposure for what you want. Generally it causes you to have underexposed shots where your subject is waaaaay darker then what you would like.
You have to play around and test some shots out to find out how you want to expose your shots. I had to dial my exposure wheel around on my SX70 to find the right exposure.


Very moody


Some weird exposure lines. Could be from the filter.





For the most part I was pretty pleased with the shots. I think I could have dialled the exposure dial on my camera to the darker end to get more tonal range. I was bad and did not use my body heat to help develop the shots :( So i definitely lost some contrast due to that. I was impatient and wanted to get on my next shot!
Overall PX600 gives you really cool moody shots.


No comments:

Post a Comment